Jump to content

phpVMS 5.5.2.74 (phpVMS 5.5.2 updated for PHP 7.4)


LesJar
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is a new topic to open up the work and fixing of phpVMS 5.5.2.72 to work with PHP 7.4 .   

It will be based on the existing version phpVMS 5.5.2.72 and will be progressed in this forum.

Once Finished it will be polished on GITHUB as a package the same as before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Step 1.   I have a MAMP-PRO system and have set up a server module which will run PHP 7.4.12 and will install the existing software into this and start recording the errors found and then we can start correcting them as required. Until we know what the errors are I do not know how long this will take.  I am suspecting that PHP will throw out a lot of warning type messages about code being deprecated etc. These are going to be the main areas where things will hopefully be easy to fix. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ERROR-01.    This is just connecting to the master software after uploading to the server 

Warning: Use of undefined constant DBASE_NAME - assumed 'DBASE_NAME' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /Users/lesliejarrett/Sites/airalba/core/codon.config.php on line 90

Warning: Use of undefined constant DBASE_SERVER - assumed 'DBASE_SERVER' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /Users/lesliejarrett/Sites/airalba/core/codon.config.php on line 90

Warning: Use of undefined constant DBASE_NAME - assumed 'DBASE_NAME' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /Users/lesliejarrett/Sites/airalba/core/codon.config.php on line 90

 

So the first task is to find out this error and correct it 

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 09.05.21.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Error 1.      the line in question is as follows  -: i.e. core/codon.config.php. line 90 

 

if(DBASE_NAME != '' && DBASE_SERVER != '' && DBASE_NAME != 'DBASE_NAME') {

so following what I could find I tried the following line 

if($DBASE_NAME != '' && $DBASE_SERVER != '' && $DBASE_NAME != 'DBASE_NAME') {

 

and that error seems to have gone away hopefully but we must wait and see

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 09.21.13.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Since it's been over one year since the OP has updated this thread, chances are it's been abondoned.

 

However, work is in progress elsewhere. But no further announcement will be made until it's ready for release. There is a whole lot more to this update than making it compatible with PHP 7.4 - there are quite a few updates needed to the DB structure as well.

 

Be aware, you shouldn't be using phpVMS 5.5.2.x or 2.x for a new VA. Use phpVMS v7 instead. Any updates for 5.5.2.x are for well established legacy VA's that have a lot invested in payware modules, etc. Any update to the core of 5.5.2.x and a move to newer PHP versions and/or newer versions of MySQL or MariaDB is going to break many addon modules. And you are on your own to fix those modules to work correctly with any update to phpVMS 5.5.2.x.

 

Your best course of action is to install and learn to modify phpVMS v7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2022 at 5:24 PM, ProAvia said:

Since it's been over one year since the OP has updated this thread, chances are it's been abondoned.

 

However, work is in progress elsewhere. But no further announcement will be made until it's ready for release. There is a whole lot more to this update than making it compatible with PHP 7.4 - there are quite a few updates needed to the DB structure as well.

 

Be aware, you shouldn't be using phpVMS 5.5.2.x or 2.x for a new VA. Use phpVMS v7 instead. Any updates for 5.5.2.x are for well established legacy VA's that have a lot invested in payware modules, etc. Any update to the core of 5.5.2.x and a move to newer PHP versions and/or newer versions of MySQL or MariaDB is going to break many addon modules. And you are on your own to fix those modules to work correctly with any update to phpVMS 5.5.2.x.

 

Your best course of action is to install and learn to modify phpVMS v7.

 

Hope to find some more time, like normal humans and continue with you on that project again... At least there will be some hope then :)

 

For new VA's it is v7, no seconds thoughts on that. It is more than stable at the moment and runs well on new hardware/software, just needs some more touch and more addons to polish it ;) I can not do every single addon/feature :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Did you followed docs for v7 install, as far as I know it installs fine even with docker. Considering you had tried it in the past, there may be changes for docker installs.

 

And do you have any future plans for making your updated v5 available at GitHub, so we can contribute too if needed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 8/27/2022 at 11:26 PM, Ghostfly said:

I fixed the PHP issues for compatibility to work with PHP 7.3, 7.4 8.0 8.1 - I was unable to install PHPVMS7 via docker compose. It was broken from dev using git clone -

 

 

Any update on possibly uploading this version of phpVMS 5.x to github?

@Ghostfly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ProAvia said:

 

Any update on possibly uploading this version of phpVMS 5.x to github?

@Ghostfly

In all honesty I haven't had the chance to work on GitHub...I came to conclude that it's the hosting services that is the problem.  what I did was configure my cloud hosting service to support PHP 7.4 PHP 8.0 PHP 8.2 for VMS 5.x  and all the VA using the service are running smoothly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
14 hours ago, Ghostfly said:

In all honesty I haven't had the chance to work on GitHub...I came to conclude that it's the hosting services that is the problem.  what I did was configure my cloud hosting service to support PHP 7.4 PHP 8.0 PHP 8.2 for VMS 5.x  and all the VA using the service are running smoothly. 

 

@Ghostfly

What php version did you use for the original install?

Is Strict Mode on or off?

What did you do about the date can't be 0000-00-00 ?

Is error reporting on and showing all errors?

Did you make any changes to the database structure?

Did you make any changes to the core v5 files?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Ok, thanks!

Then the install errors and other items that don't work with php greater than 7.2 probably still exist.

 

Work that affects zero date, no default value, strict mode and other items related to newer php and MySQL/MariaDB versions still needs to be addressed. An updated release with all these fixes that will install under php 7.4 is needed. I doubt phpVMS v5 can be fixed to fully work with php 8 or higher without major errors.

 

For anyone starting a new VA or revitalizing an older VA - the best option is to use phpVMS v7.

Using phpVMS for a new venture is a waste of time and effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...