Airline Permissions

truemo9

Hey guysm

I was wondering to make real airline virtual but to make it far away as possible for example:

Monarch Airlines, Wanted to make a virtual, called it MCH Virtual and has used fs pictures of the aircrafts and no logos. Had no word of monarch in my va but had the same schedules and fleet..

If i were to do this, and had no permission, Would i be allowed to do something like this??

Please give me your thought..

1. According to a release by the United States Copyright Office names are not protected under copyright law. But you already said you wouldn't be using the name. Might I add though there is a loop hole to the name thing stated above. Unfair Competition Laws allow names of a brand, product, etc. to become protected.

2. Sounds like the repaint would be the same though. This would catch you. Under section 102 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the U.S. Code), copyright protection extends only to “original works of authorship.†So as the paints would be their authorship they own it and that would put you in violation of copyright infringement.

DISCLAIMER: This above only applies for the United States of America and the information source is the U.S. Copyright Office.

Fun fact: In Canada the giving of protected material for no profit is LEGAL. However don't do it because you could still have a civil suit filed.(Wikipedia)

Didn't fully verify the fun fact.

Yes, a simple email explaining yourself, and what your plans are. State you will give a link back to their site, and you won't use any logo they created on your site. Also make sure you get a domain that doesn't resemble the airlines current domain, so to make doubly sure that people wanting to purchase tickets don't get confused.Alternatively, you can design your own livery, and logo, and operate the same schedule as the real world airline, and still use MCH as the name.

1. According to a release by the United States Copyright Office names are not protected under copyright law. But you already said you wouldn't be using the name. Might I add though there is a loop hole to the name thing stated above. Unfair Competition Laws allow names of a brand, product, etc. to become protected.

just wanted to add that company names, and their logos could be protected under trademark regulations, and the use of any trademark materials is a serious offense. Easy way to tell is that anything that is trademarked should have the â„¢ symbol displayed.