Exams

EENielsen

Hello guys, i just got this idea about making exams on for your VA, if any could make it.

You make a page and a link on the menu bar for logged in pilots, the page could look like this pic:

exampage.jpg

Of course better made, i just made this very fast in photoshop.

Actions:

When you press the buy button the system will take ex. $10000 from your pilot account and then if succesfully taken the money it will take you to a exam page, if failed to take money it will make a popup saying that he does not have the required funds for buying this.

Exam page:

On the exam page you will have some questions, were atleast 6 out of 10 needs to be correct(this should be able to get changed)

I hope i gave some addon developers a idea!

- Emil

• Administrators

Someone was working on some type of store a while back - pilots could "buy" things from the store with their pilot pay - not sure if it ever got done...

I could probably get a rough version up pretty quickly with some ideas of exactly what you want it to do, I am guessing you want the pilot to be able to purchase things using his pay, ie a test, then take the test. If he fails it, does he get any of his money back? Should some items only be available to certain ranks as well as a monetary ammount? Does an admin have to approve the purchase, or certain purchases?

Just thinking....

I actually belong to a VA that has been in business for around 10 years now. They have it so that a pilot can buy stupid stuff like Boats Rv's etc etc. And then they have it setup to buy stocks and airline stock. The stocks would be kind of rough though as the stock values go up and down per airline business and they will even split.

They use the stocks to help make determinations in who is serious about the VA and who is not. Meaning come promotion time they look at that as well.

Not so sure how doable that would be in phpVMS though. But the exams idea is really cool.

Someone was working on some type of store a while back - pilots could "buy" things from the store with their pilot pay - not sure if it ever got done...

I could probably get a rough version up pretty quickly with some ideas of exactly what you want it to do, I am guessing you want the pilot to be able to purchase things using his pay, ie a test, then take the test. If he fails it, does he get any of his money back? Should some items only be available to certain ranks as well as a monetary ammount? Does an admin have to approve the purchase, or certain purchases?

Just thinking....

He would not get his money back, as in real life, you don't get your money back if you fail an PPL or any exam :)

And would be cool if admin should approve it. :)

I actually belong to a VA that has been in business for around 10 years now. They have it so that a pilot can buy stupid stuff like Boats Rv's etc etc. And then they have it setup to buy stocks and airline stock. The stocks would be kind of rough though as the stock values go up and down per airline business and they will even split.

They use the stocks to help make determinations in who is serious about the VA and who is not. Meaning come promotion time they look at that as well.

Not so sure how doable that would be in phpVMS though. But the exams idea is really cool.

Yes it would be awesome, and you're flying on FSAirlines system or simmiles? :)

Livewire Airlines

The VA has gone rather stale now days and out of a few thousand pilots only around 250 of them including me are active. I do about 1 flight a month there.

I'm just not so sure what they have there in regards to Stocks and that type of stuff are doable with this system. I guess nothing is impossible though.  ;)

Something like this to spend pilot pay on would be great though.

• Administrators

Livewire Airlines

The VA has gone rather stale now days and out of a few thousand pilots only around 250 of them including me are active. I do about 1 flight a month there.

I'm just not so sure what they have there in regards to Stocks and that type of stuff are doable with this system. I guess nothing is impossible though.  ;)

Something like this to spend pilot pay on would be great though.

It's do-able, there's plenty of data there, including all the detailed finances, monthly aggregates, etc, it's just a matter of someone planning it and coding it out in a manner which is functional.

• Administrators

Ok guys, I have started coding this and the store part I have gotten working somewhat but a stock broker I am not. Can anyone lay out the structure of a stock system based off phpvms. What I am looking for is what exactly is the stock price to be derived from. We have our income from flights and expenses for the same, pilot pay etc... but there is also the depreciation factor of the initial cost of aircraft, which I do not see in phpvms right now. I need to know what equation I should be using in regards to what is in the database to figure the daily stock price for a pilot to buy or sell stock. What should the initial offering price be based off of?

• Moderators

i think if you gona look at the initial stock pricing you schould wait until vacentral goes live there you have a daily ranking and this should be the initiall price decision how higher the more the stoch is gonna cost and then the montly assets how manny is turned from income expence to proffit.

these are my touths but i am also no stock broker ;D

• Administrators

I think stocks would be something better put into vaCentral, since stocks also kinda depend on the industry. They're really just based on an overall valuation of a company, and then on profits/losses, and then sheer volume (speculation drives alot of prices up and down). There are alot of variables to consider.

But, instead of stocks, maybe "paying" for special liveries?

• Moderators

I think stocks would be something better put into vaCentral, since stocks also kinda depend on the industry. They're really just based on an overall valuation of a company, and then on profits/losses, and then sheer volume (speculation drives alot of prices up and down). There are alot of variables to consider.

But, instead of stocks, maybe "paying" for special liveries?

Maybe something that you can put in yourself like the awards(staff can put in their own things like a tv,car,ex…….)and then access its from the pilot side an buy something.

• Administrators

Perhaps, but as an addon I would do it, not in this upcoming version. It would delay it too much.

But maybe after this release, I can work with someone to develop it, I could do the admin and database end, and then roll it into the main release eventually.

• Administrators

Ok guys - I have a core exam system working in which you have to purchase the exam using your pilot pay....  if you do not wish to have to purchase the exam you will just have to set the price at $0.

One question - is a percentage to pass being the same for all the tests ok, or does each test have to have it's own passing percentage?

• Moderators

Ok guys - I have a core exam system working in which you have to purchase the exam using your pilot pay....  if you do not wish to have to purchase the exam you will just have to set the price at $0.

One question - is a percentage to pass being the same for all the tests ok, or does each test have to have it's own passing percentage?

i would say the higher the rating the higher you should score

• Administrators

I can help you out with the admin panel piece sometime

Sounds good - I have built a seperate module for the exam admin functions but it uses the same data class. It runs outside of the admin panel right now, not sure how big of a deal it is to implement in the admin panel. I have not done much on that side always worrying it would get overwritten in an update. I am installing it on my online test site tonight to see how it works online. It seems to be working quite well here on the development server.