Airline Divisions

TAV1702

So I have been a member of a virtual airline that has been around since the tail end of 2000. I have been talking with them about a new website. The issues is, they have 1 main airline, 4 Divisions, and then hubs. 

How we are setup now in phpVMS we can create separate airlines and all kinds of hubs or an airline with as many hubs as we wish. So I am embarassed to say that as long as I have been with phpVMS (all but since day 1) I can not for the life of me figure out how to accomplish this task accordingly. 

I need 1 main airline.  Under that main airline I need 4 divisions such as the Americas, Eupoean, Asian, then something such as over closer to Japan and down into New Zealand and Australia.  And under each one of those division, they would have their very own hubs.  

Am I overthinking the current 5.x system? I know for certain I have tried to think this through once before a failed miserably. All I see that we can do is airlines and hubs, no divisions. In the airline I am talking about, they ask their pilots to choose a Division to fly for upon registration, not a hub.  So what f the website name was the airline name and instead of creating 4 separate airlines, I create the 4 Divisions and then create all the hubs under them? That is a shit in the dark. All 4 division have got to have the same call sign though.

Hmm

But Ray you are posting in the phpVMS 7 forum!! Ah yes! That I am. And for a reason. Is this possible in the new version to do? Or might I have to take the same shot in the dark as the scenario that I just posted above? I hate like hell to start in on a new 5.x website and tie up hundreds upon hundreds of hours on it and have version 7 come out as a RC or better soon there after I get started.

Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong thread area. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking multiple airlines might work. I'll be talking with the guys real soon like. And sorry so long on the reply. Life tossed me a crosswind and it wasn't on approach. ;-)

The airline in question was built in 2000 so 19 years later their site is very old and decrepit. The man who built it is long since gone. He was a VERY smart man. No one can really come behind him and figure out how he did what. he has things built in the system I have yet to ever see in any other system ever built. However, the folks now if they wish to carry on, what few are left, might just have to take what they can get to work for them without a lot of the bells and whistles. So suffice to say, multiple airlines and an single callsign would have to work I would guess. That was one of my original thoughts. The way the airline is formed though is based on 4 divisions and multiple hubs per division and each pilot is a Pilot of a division, not a hub, I would need to figure that one little trick out. How to make them join a division and not the hubs. That has been my hang up the whole time. 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, Nabeel said:

It's an interesting idea but would take a lot of rework. Let me think about it... if you created multiple airlines but were able to use the same callsign, would that be good enough?

Now that I think about this, yeah, it would work. I could very easily hide the hub choice for them in the form and make it default each pilot to a single hub, he or she would be none the wiser anyhow. This airline really does not depend on hubs anyhow as I mentioned. Well, it does very heavily but it has it pilots join divisions, not hubs. So this would work. 

Out of curiosity, let me break out of V7 chat momentarily if I may (if not, please feel free to edit out). Is there any way at all I can hot fix 5.5 for testing purposes to allow me to do this? As we sit now it is one airline per airline code. Any attempts at another gives the ol' Sorry an airline already exists with this code message.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, TAV1702 said:

So I have been a member of a virtual airline that has been around since the tail end of 2000. I have been talking with them about a new website. The issues is, they have 1 main airline, 4 Divisions, and then hubs. 

How we are setup now in phpVMS we can create separate airlines and all kinds of hubs or an airline with as many hubs as we wish. So I am embarassed to say that as long as I have been with phpVMS (all but since day 1) I can not for the life of me figure out how to accomplish this task accordingly. 

I need 1 main airline.  Under that main airline I need 4 divisions such as the Americas, Eupoean, Asian, then something such as over closer to Japan and down into New Zealand and Australia.  And under each one of those division, they would have their very own hubs.  

Am I overthinking the current 5.x system? I know for certain I have tried to think this through once before a failed miserably. All I see that we can do is airlines and hubs, no divisions. In the airline I am talking about, they ask their pilots to choose a Division to fly for upon registration, not a hub.  So what f the website name was the airline name and instead of creating 4 separate airlines, I create the 4 Divisions and then create all the hubs under them? That is a shit in the dark. All 4 division have got to have the same call sign though.

Hmm

But Ray you are posting in the phpVMS 7 forum!! Ah yes! That I am. And for a reason. Is this possible in the new version to do? Or might I have to take the same shot in the dark as the scenario that I just posted above? I hate like hell to start in on a new 5.x website and tie up hundreds upon hundreds of hours on it and have version 7 come out as a RC or better soon there after I get started.

Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong thread area. 

So basically, you want 4 divisions with one single airline have same ICAO for all schedules?

Within those 4 divisions, you want hubs for each division

And at the time of registration, pilot first chooses the division and then the hub?

• 5 months later...

I am also thinking of dividing up the VA, but in a slightly different way.

I'm looking to divide it into four divisions- Classic Props, Classic Jets, Classic Turboprops and Classic Cargo-Charter

All I really need is to list four different .csv's so when you are on one page, you only see the schedule for that particular division. I'm thinking just created three more domains through fivedev, but is there additional cost at phpVMS?