Bug with no suport or topic

Bluemax

Nabeel,

Sir, I have found my expereince here at the forums to resolve issues or bugs with PHPVMS sort of restricted to the those who are willing to help and being an outsider of the group of phpvms VA operaters that hang out here, pretty much keep to those who they know. I come here when I need help and I have not had a single question since I first started using phpvms back in July. So in order to get something done or added I half to contract it out to FSTools for a fee. I don't mind paying the piper if this is the only way I can get my sites the way I want them.

Let me get to my issue that has had no response, just a lot of viewing. I now operate two phpvms sites on two diferent servers. Tried them both on one server but there was a security issue, a conflict causing a member on one site that had an ID ending in XXX0001 to be able to log into the person profile on the other site who's ID ended in XXX001. Without the use of login (Email address and PW) I rplaced the sub-site several times and the databases and passwords and the conflict still existed. I couldn't get any response here on the forums no matter where I posted it. JUst viewing.

As I indicated I was forced to purchase a second server and move the subsite to a new location. After deleting the site again from my main server and all traces of the database I now find my main site with an issue in the admin panel. If I go to the frontpage news edit the screen brings up the Source code for the news page screen with no way to get into the editing panel with the tool bar. This is also true for editing pages I have created. Just the Source code page comes up. I posted this 24 hours ago and all I have received is views. Attached is a screenshot of the News page editor as I said it is the same with Pages I have created. This is a great program and is worth every dime if it were payware with a manual called "Phpvms for dummies" I love everything about it except the documentation and the lack of forum support. There is so much I want to do, but I have to wait for my list of things to be completed so I can contact Jeff at FSTools and get a quote from him. As I said, I would pay for someone beside Jeff and the folks at FS Product just to pick their brains, so I can do some of the neet things that I see snippits of code floating around on the forums with no explaination as to what to do with them or where to put them. This is a great program why restrict it to just php programmers?

David Zaleski

dezaleski@optimum.net www.usavamc.com & www.usavamc.net/phpvms/ sub-site

I Don't Think It's Poor Support here. It's just people have work and live in different times zones etc.

Not wanting to sound harsh but the fact is people have to work out whats wrong so post as much info as possible, just because they have viewed it doesn't mean they can help.

Tried them both on one server but there was a security issue, a conflict causing a member on one site that had an ID ending in XXX0001 to be able to log into the person profile on the other site who's ID ended in XXX001. Without the use of login (Email address and PW) I rplaced the sub-site several times and the databases and passwords and the conflict still existed. I couldn't get any response here on the forums no matter where I posted it. JUst viewing.

Were you using the same database and same tables? If yes, thats probably why.

From Your Other Topic:

For some reason I have lost the ability to edit my news page and addon pages. When you click on Edit News or Editing pages all that is there is the code script? Np tools?

Any Chance to see the code?

Regards

Jon

• Administrators

Wow, "lack of forum support" and "forced to purchase another server" are some strong comments about an open source community project. Nabeel has spent countless hours coding the base software and supporting users through the forum board, not to mention the money it takes to keep the site up and running, he has even purchased IP Board forum software for us. There are many others here that help when they can, but as you mentioned, this is not a commercial software project, members (including Nabeel) have real world jobs, family commitments, and other interests, so response is not always immediate.

To back up what Jon has mentioned, the comment in a request for help that states, "it doesn't work, what is wrong", is not the best way to get some help. It is very helpful to the people trying to help you if you include the details of the situation. It is the old saying of "help me to help you". I do find myself avoiding the threads that have a screenshot of a problem and very little supporting information, it is similar to calling the Dr and telling him you don't feel well and asking him, what's wrong? He can't see you, perform an examination, and may not know your history. I also, and I think I may speak for others, avoid threads with "HELP!!!" in the title, or are filled with "!!!!!!" strings.

As far as your comments, I think your statement to the lack of forum support to the members is far from fair, and frankly, insulting. I also find it hard to believe that anyone "forced" you to buy another server. The views of a thread can also be very deceptive, if you look at the members loged in at anytime you will find multiple crawlers on the site, everytime one of these crawls a thread it registers as a view.

• Moderators

well i find it sad to hear this initially i helped you out did a full setup even alterd you a skin i bought from tom to your likings all was ok and nothing heard from you ever and now you come here and say there is no support sad to hear this. :(

no on toppic i have 3 phpvms installes on the same server and 2 on an other one working like a charm tried what you where telling but could not log in to an other account with one callsign to an other.

gr joeri

My apologizes to all of you who were offended by my frustration with trying to get help on these forums. I understood this to be a support forum. Neither am I critical of any particular individual, its a general observation by someone who is not a php programmer. My reference was to those of you who hang out here and share your code, who are knowledgeable in the mechanics of phpvms and I'm sure php in general. My program knowledge is relegated to CNC machine code, a whole different world. I read the post by others in the hopes I can figure stuff out so I don't have to bother the folks here with stupid questions. But I searched the threads and found nothing related to the issue I'm having.

And to respond to the comment to my second server, this was by my choice. I was not forced or am I blaming anyone. It was my resolution to a problem I couldn't fix.

I includes a screen shot of the issue in my post. There is not much more I can say about it. But I see this thread is not going to resolve my issue but just cause me embarrassment for posting it in the first place, as I'm sure there will be others who will get in their licks.

I have had great support from FSTools, particularly Jeff. He did my skin, added Airmail and other features. My frustration is my lack of knowledge of php and phpvms. I included all the praise in the world for the product but yet you choose to focus on my comment about support. So for that my deepest apology to all of you.

I will avoid posting questions in the future.

By the sounds of it, you used the same db tables, that is really a no no because, exactly what you said happened will happen. That is why you never use the same tables for two seperate installs. If you want to use the same db, then give them a different prefix, like phpvmst_ something to make them unique. A screenshot will not give us all the information, detail of the problem will help us immensely. This is not a bug in the software, it is just a mistake on your part (don'tt mean to offend but it is what it is).

No, doing that is not going to get you far. Just don't be so aggressive with your wording.

Oh and...

Uh?

My apologizes..........the skin says Powered by FSTools but I got the skin and the features were added by Gr joeri of TNT. Originally I had a conversation With Tom at FSTools and via these forums I connected with Gr joeri and purchased the skin from him and he added Airmail and did some other work on it.

• Moderators

Oh well cant please everyone, by the time i got to the bottom of this thread i calmed down a bit but please don't complain about the lack of support here.

Please detail your exact problem now you have the attention of most of the expeienced phpvms'ers. and im sure we can help you.

By the sounds of it, you used the same db tables, that is really a no no because, exactly what you said happened will happen. That is why you never use the same tables for two seperate installs. If you want to use the same db, then give them a different prefix, like phpvmst_ something to make them unique. A screenshot will not give us all the information, detail of the problem will help us immensely. This is not a bug in the software, it is just a mistake on your part (don'tt mean to offend but it is what it is).

I have gotten past this issue as it was my doing. I misunderstood the meaning of "different prefix, like phpvmst_" when I installed the subsite. Each time I read it I couldn't tell whether I needed a prefex if I shared the database or don't use it if I shared it. Either way the subsite is on another server and it's just as well.

My present issue which I sent in the screen shot has to do with the News Edit page and Page edit tools are missing. When you click on the main page News (Admin) click on Edit. It takes me to the sources code instead of the editing page with all the tools. Normally if your in the edit page you can view the source code by clicking at the left top of panel. But I'm going there directly and have no way to get to the edit page with all the tools bars and upload tools.

• Administrators
After deleting the site again from my main server and all traces of the database I now find my main site with an issue in the admin panel. If I go to the frontpage news edit the screen brings up the Source code for the news page screen with no way to get into the editing panel with the tool bar. This is also true for editing pages I have created. Just the Source code page comes up. I posted this 24 hours ago and all I have received is views. Attached is a screenshot of the News page editor as I said it is the same with Pages I have created.

When you deleted the other site were some files from the main site inadvertently deleted? Try putting the install folder back up and then run

www.mysite.com/install/checkinstall.php

and see what is output, it will tell us if there are any missing or corrupt files in the install. That is a good starting point.

Also, what version of phpvms are you running, and what version php is running on the server?

• Moderators

I Really Agree With Simpilot. Been lately i seen alot of the Big HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i tell them to wait till someone rolls out. And It's been annoying to us even people are bumping the topic to get us our annetion, WHAT THE HECK! it's not going get them support faster. Alos what simpilot said

this is not a commercial software project, members (including Nabeel) have real world jobs, family commitments, and other interests, so response is not always immediate.

Which it is very true, i have a life outside of phpVMS, and i have time to look into people's problems but not with their BIG Mouths for shouting HELP!!!!. Also Nabeel can set these caps to non caps in IP Board automacily.

Let's be waiting paniently till someone rolls out to support.....................

(sorry for my spelling)

I Really Agree With Simpilot. Been lately i seen alot of the Big HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i tell them to wait till someone rolls out. And It's been annoying to us even people are bumping the topic to get us our annetion, WHAT THE HECK! it's not going get them support faster. Alos what simpilot said

Which it is very true, i have a life outside of phpVMS, and i have time to look into people's problems but not with their BIG Mouths for shouting HELP!!!!. Also Nabeel can set these caps to non caps in IP Board automacily.

Let's be waiting paniently till someone rolls out to support.....................

(sorry for my spelling)

Gentlemen...Once again I'm sorry. My biggest mistake here is posting my frustration when I'm tired. I work for 10:00 am until 01:00 in the morning. The issue was driving me nuts, I even replaced the admin files, I was at my wits end and took my frustration out here at the forum. Before I bow out of here and as our great president just stated recently "Trouble makers can go to the back of the bus" I will send a personal apology to Tom at FSTools for referring to Jeff of FSTools. Jeff (Kobus) was still on my mind as he developed a custom Kacars for me (FS Products).

The person I was referring, I thought was from FSTools was the gentlemen who I purchased my skin from which states is Powered by Phpvms & FSTools. Gr joeri of TNT Virtual which now has me puzzled. I can't even remember how I connected with him as I had several email exchanges with Tom about new skins. So it appears I purchased a skin he purchased from FSTools.

But but I'm not having a skin problem. I'm missing the editing tools for editing the Main News page and Pages I created. The same tool bar you find in any word processors. But I can't seem to get this point across, even attaching a screenshot of my news page showing the source code for what I have posted on the main page. But can't edit the page and there is nothing to edit or update it with, probably because of the cloud of soot I created around myself for shooting off my mouth. I'm sure no one here has ever stuck their foot in their month.

Was asked above. I have the latest version of phpvms (Since July) and have had no issues until I started deleting old database (Server mysql panel) and the sub site. The two sites were separate folder phpvms_and a prefix in different directories. So nothing in the site folder were touched. And yes I did realize after the fact that the databases were not isolated by the prefix so it was shared. Didn't understand the wording when I ran the installer then and I'm not sure I understand it now. It states "If your are sharing this database add a prefix to phpvms_" makes no since to me. But then, I don't know squat about php or phpvms. Gents I'll leave you be.

Wishing you all the best.

well i find it sad to hear this initially i helped you out did a full setup even alterd you a skin i bought from tom to your likings all was ok and nothing heard from you ever and now you come here and say there is no support sad to hear this. :(

no on toppic i have 3 phpvms installes on the same server and 2 on an other one working like a charm tried what you where telling but could not log in to an other account with one callsign to an other.

gr joeri

gr joeri, I don't have any issue with the skin. I haven't been back to you as I haven't completed my list, one being a new skin with sidebars instead of top bars. But I can see this isn't going to happen as I made a real splash here. I don't know how I thought you were associated with FSTools I never but two and two together and then this evening at work I remembered you are TNT Virtual. I mentioned below that I owe Tom, a apology for referring to you as being from FSTools and Jeff Kobus being from FSTools and now I'm apologizing to you.

When you deleted the other site were some files from the main site inadvertently deleted? Try putting the install folder back up and then run

www.mysite.com/install/checkinstall.php

and see what is output, it will tell us if there are any missing or corrupt files in the install. That is a good starting point.

Also, what version of phpvms are you running, and what version php is running on the server?

THis is the result of your suggestion:

phpVMS Virtual Airline Administration Software

Install Check

phpVMS Build Number: 934

Checking PHP version

[OK] PHP version is 5.2.12.x

ASP Tags

[OK] ASP-style tags are disabled

Checking connectivity...

[OK] Can contact outside servers

Checking for SimpleXML module...

[OK] SimpleXML module exists!

Checking file hashes for corrupt or mismatched files

[Checksum failed] /core/templates/pilots_list.tpl did not match, possibly corrupt or out of date

[Checksum failed] /core/templates/pilot_public_profile.tpl did not match, possibly corrupt or out of date

-- Checked 183 files, found 2 errors

• Administrators

Ok, looks like all the core files are intact, look for any error logs in the folders of the site, there may not be any if de-bugging is turned off or if the error is not within the application. If there is no error log then lets get some de-bugging info going.

Use the information here -> http://forum.phpvms.net/page/index.html?record=31 to turn on the de-bugging functions within phpVMS. Once you have done that, go to your site and visit all the pages you have errors with, this will create a log within the folder tree as outlined in the above instructions. Post, or attach the error log(s) to your post and hopefully that will give us some insight to the issue(s).

Wow, "lack of forum support" and "forced to purchase another server" are some strong comments about an open source community project. Nabeel has spent countless hours coding the base software and supporting users through the forum board, not to mention the money it takes to keep the site up and running, he has even purchased IP Board forum software for us. There are many others here that help when they can, but as you mentioned, this is not a commercial software project, members (including Nabeel) have real world jobs, family commitments, and other interests, so response is not always immediate.

To back up what Jon has mentioned, the comment in a request for help that states, "it doesn't work, what is wrong", is not the best way to get some help. It is very helpful to the people trying to help you if you include the details of the situation. It is the old saying of "help me to help you". I do find myself avoiding the threads that have a screenshot of a problem and very little supporting information, it is similar to calling the Dr and telling him you don't feel well and asking him, what's wrong? He can't see you, perform an examination, and may not know your history. I also, and I think I may speak for others, avoid threads with "HELP!!!" in the title, or are filled with "!!!!!!" strings.

As far as your comments, I think your statement to the lack of forum support to the members is far from fair, and frankly, insulting. I also find it hard to believe that anyone "forced" you to buy another server. The views of a thread can also be very deceptive, if you look at the members loged in at anytime you will find multiple crawlers on the site, everytime one of these crawls a thread it registers as a view.

Just for the record,this is not my post or topic that is mentioned here: "To back up what Jon has mentioned, the comment in a request for help that states, "it doesn't work, what is wrong", is not the best way to get some help. It is very helpful to the people trying to help you if you include the details of the situation. It is the old saying of "help me to help you". I do find myself avoiding the threads that have a screenshot of a problem and very little supporting information, it is similar to calling the Dr and telling him you don't feel well and asking him, what's wrong? He can't see you, perform an examination, and may not know your history. I also, and I think I may speak for others, avoid threads with "HELP!!!" in the title, or are filled with "!!!!!!" strings"

David

Just for the record,this is not my post or topic that is mentioned here: "To back up what Jon has mentioned, the comment in a request for help that states, "it doesn't work, what is wrong", is not the best way to get some help. It is very helpful to the people trying to help you if you include the details of the situation. It is the old saying of "help me to help you". I do find myself avoiding the threads that have a screenshot of a problem and very little supporting information, it is similar to calling the Dr and telling him you don't feel well and asking him, what's wrong? He can't see you, perform an examination, and may not know your history. I also, and I think I may speak for others, avoid threads with "HELP!!!" in the title, or are filled with "!!!!!!" strings"

David

I think you miss read what simpilot said. He was backing up Jon who posted previous to him.Just for the record, I have always gotten great support here. You can't expect people to automatically know the problem, it is like going into a garage asking them what is the problem with my car, and not letting them see the car, or give them any further detail on what the problem is.