Pilot Bids

BPA1

Hello,

After a very frustrating server migration our bids no longer work.  While we can make the bid in the Module "Tour Center", and the Big Check mark appears telling us the bid has been made, looking at the pilot record say "You have not bid on any flights".  A quick check of the database clearly shows the bid has been made. So obviously something broke during the migration.  I have re installed all the modules and bits of Tour Center with no improvement.  Equally obvious is that the connection to the database is working.  The result of all of this is that the flight is not available in kaCARS although pilots can gain access by loading the flight by flight number, which works well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No Joy.  Cleared the database, so there were zero bids, went to the tour center and bid a new flight, nada. Checked the database, the bid is there...but not showing up in the pilot profile nor in kaCARS and not in the administration section.

I don't know the Tour Center module. But may i ask, is "You have not bid on any flights" from the Tour Module? If it is, perhaps you may want to check the code if it is reading correctly or using the correct function to get the data of the bid.

Interesting you would mention this as I forgot to.  When the search by flight # IS checked, you can populate the form after putting in a valid flight number, fly the route and file the Pirep.  Uncheck the box and nada. Tour Center Module allows us to create "tours", a series of flight bundled together.  When the "bid" in made a big green check mark says that the bid is created and when checking the appropriate line in the database, the bid is there. But that's when it stops.  As I said before, we had to upgrade the web site due to server limitations and now have more memory and a static IP address.  Initially we had problems even getting the site up before realizing that they had forced us to PHP 7.+ , once fixed we were up and running.  We did have to remove htaccess for things to return to normal.  Ran fine for about a week and now this.  

I have re installed the Tour Center Module....nothing changed, but I didn't really think that was the issue. It has run fine for two years.  I realized that when you could not see the "bid" in the pilot profile nor in the admin section, the problem was outside the kaCARS program, I just don't know where and I don't know what to try next.....Thanks so much for helping!

• Administrators

Can you install another phpVMS on a development site on the same host. Just the basic install - no Tour Center or other mods. Then set up a couple of airports, aircraft and schedule. Finally, test the bid stuff there.

What phpVMS, PHP & MySQL versions are you running? I remember having the same issue a while back when I was testing, but I never got around to finding the issue. Potentially check that the versions are exactly the same in your new host to your old host as even a slight change could cause something like this to happen.

Also, check your DB details are correct in your local.config.php file, but I suspect you already have as the Tour bids are going through and the site isn't blowing up with errors.

And check your browser console for any JS errors, as some of the bidding logic (buttons) is done via JS.

OK, installed another copy on a development site on the same host and it works fine.  Granted this is a two airport, one schedule one airplane kind of site, but bid spot on.  So,  we now know it will work on the host.  

What is your recommended "next step"?   try redirecting to the fully populated data base?  Bring in the database in sections Ie: pilots, schedules, airports etc?  Add the modules? Over write the program to the existing files?  

I need to figure out the path that will eventually restore things with the existing data....if possible.

• Administrators

You may wish to try connecting the live database to the development site. Then sign in and try schedule search and bidding. Don't make any changes outside of a search and bid. Post back with results.

EDIT: Make a backup of the live DB and link the dev site to that backup. This way you lessen the chance of compromising your live DB.

As requested by @web541 - What phpVMS, PHP & MySQL versions are you running?

Additionally, what versions of PHP and MySQL/MariaDB was the former host using?

Ok some news....

first, phpvms version 5.5.x

PHP 5.6 ( on the server)

PHP 7.2.7 database

PHP myAdmin 4.9.3

MySql ext MySqli

As suggested, I connected the live database to the development site....no joy.  I then Copied it to a new data base and connected that database to the test sight, no joy.  I went back and did the same thing with just the schedules and found that I could not bid from the schedules either.  Here is the strange part.....with the live schedule data base brought into the test site you can't bid, but if you create a NEW schedule that entry can be bid which suggests that there is something wrong with the phpvms_schedule in the existing database BUT.....on the live site, a new entry will not bid.  On the second live site that has remained untouched, all of the parts are working just fine including Tour Center.  The test site is, as you suggested, bare bones.  I guess this just saying that there is something in the _schedules that is screwing up the bid....but what?  The confusing part is that while the database was copied into the test site didn't work but new entries do, and the original live site, nothing works.  

So.....I suppose you could just say....rebuild the 60+ pages or about 1500 schedules, but if there was a way to avoid that chore it sure would be nice.  Tour Center is another issue but it works on the other live site and it isn't installed on the test site and doesn't work on the prime site.  At this point, it's one step at a time.

I Hope this makes sense.

Oh....one more thing.....Is it possible to re-install some or part of the program and then the obvious question...which ones?

Edited by BPA1
additional information

• Administrators

Here is what I think you have ....

• phpVMS version is 5.5.2
  • Your host has PHP 7.2.7 set as the default PHP version
  • The directory where phpVMS is installed (that sub-domain) is using PHP 5.6

Is your host using MySQL or MariaDB? You should be able to find this in cPanel under General Information, Server Information - and there should be a version number there too.

Do you know the PHP and MySQL/MariaDB versions from the old host?

Are you using the exact same phpVMS version on the new host as used on the old host? If you backed up all the files from the old host and restored to the new host, the version and files should be the same.

Did you do this migration yourself or with the help of the new host?

Fixed!

I am not 100% sure if the errors were the cause or the effect, but the solution probably would have worked either way.  My first efforts were copying the database files to the test site where the problem continued.  I then tried an export from the phpvms site and found that there is error checking when importing.  Not having all of the aircraft, airports and schedules produced a pile of errors.  So starting over again, I imported in the order of reference....aircraft, airports and then schedules.  Again, more errors but the good news is that the new file is void of the errors.  So now I have each imported into a fresh install structure and it worked on the test site.  To fix the problem in the live site was a simple matter of going into the database and deleting the aircraft, airports, schedules and bid line files and importing the test sites files and renaming them.  Everything is working.  I know that this was a convoluted solution, and perhaps if I had more knowledge of the program itself, the solution would have been more obvious, but I hope if someone else has a similar issue, this solution might help.

Thanks to all who chimed in to help.... 

• Administrators

Many times convoluted is the only way that works. LOL

Glad you got your errors fixed. And thanks for reporting back - this post may come in handy for someone with a similar issue in the future.