vmsACARS won't open

atrdriver

I feel kind of stupid, but I can't get the acars.exe program to run.  I have followed the client install, installed and run makerunways, and I already have the paid version of FSUIPC.  I unzipped the ACARS.zip file to a folder of my choice, and when I try to run it I get a pop up box withe the PHPVMS logo for about 3 or 4 seconds, then it closes and nothing more happens.  I never get the entry screen where you put in your API and url, and select a simulator.  I attempted to follow the docs exactly, as well as the README.txt file in the ACARS.zip file.  Running Win10, with ver 4.8 of .NET framework.  I know I must be doing something wrong, but I sure can't figure out what it is.  Thanks,

john croft

• Like 1

• ProAvia changed the title to vmsACARS won't open
On 6/12/2021 at 3:26 PM, atrdriver said:

I feel kind of stupid, but I can't get the acars.exe program to run.  I have followed the client install, installed and run makerunways, and I already have the paid version of FSUIPC.  I unzipped the ACARS.zip file to a folder of my choice, and when I try to run it I get a pop up box withe the PHPVMS logo for about 3 or 4 seconds, then it closes and nothing more happens.  I never get the entry screen where you put in your API and url, and select a simulator.  I attempted to follow the docs exactly, as well as the README.txt file in the ACARS.zip file.  Running Win10, with ver 4.8 of .NET framework.  I know I must be doing something wrong, but I sure can't figure out what it is.  Thanks,

john croft

Try creating an exception in your antivirus for the acars.exe file before executing it.

Regards

Edited by lorlandi
add info

On 6/12/2021 at 7:26 PM, atrdriver said:

john croft

Hi John,

As others have pointed out, make sure you create an exception in your firewall/antivirus software (here's a tutorial for Windows Security which might be the best place to start)

Also, try running the program as an administrator. Right-click on the icon for Acars.exe, and click 'Run as Administrator' -- note, you may be required to input your account password depending on your settings. This will only work if you have administrative rights on the computer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all, I got that part sorted out.  Now here's a question semi related.  The downloadable ACARS.zip file includes all the server side stuff, and I don't really want the file that I distribute to our pilots to include all that.  Is there a list of files that must be included for the pilots to use the ACARS as the client for them so I could re-zip it and distribute it without all the server side stuff in it?

john croft

• Administrators

Not really - it's just all included because of the auto-updates. The server-side stuff is really small anyway, and I just keep it included because if there are changes there, I'll have it in the changelog and then it can be updated by an admin. It's virtually useless anyway without a phpvms install and a license key

I haven't come up with a good way to distribute that separately yet, especially for communicating if there are changes/updates. 

Pilots has nothing to do with the server side stuff ... And it is not necessary to worry about it.

What they need is first unpack the package to a folder, then to follow simulator side procedures first (like installing the xplane plugin, or installing fsuipc + makerunways.exe for fsx/prepar etc) and after this step double clicking the Acars.exe (or make a shortcut for it to their desktop for ease of access)

If you wish you can provide a step by step guide to your pilots to follow for installing ;)

Safe flights

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, atrdriver said:

OK, thanks so much.  Was just trying to make it easier for the pilots so they wouldn't have so much to sort through :)

All they need to do is extract it into a folder and maybe create a desktop shortcut. There's instructions in the README, that has a link to the docs, but you can also just send them the docs directly. They shouldn't need to go into the other files there

https://docs.phpvms.net/acars/install-client/