VAForum Beta 1.0

simpilot

It should not mess anything up by moving the css styles fro the tpl pages into the main css file. Just make sure there are no duplicate tags as it will override each other.

Can you post a link to the avatar example or maybe the code snippet, I am not sure what it might be.

Ok on the css and I can do you one better on the link. I'll give you a test login so you can see it first hand what I did so far. Give me about an hour or so to get it done. I am fixing to go and clean the baby up and all that good kid stuff we all have to do these days.  ;)

I'll PM you the login details here in a bit.

Ray

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

It is set to bring the newest post to the top of the forum but to have it marked a different color or bolded will take quite a bit more coding. I do not know if I will extend the code any further than what it is now, I have gotten my hands into a few too many projects....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I did not build in a sticky function, something to work on if I do another version.

How about repaution. Like if someone liked the post and they push the + button or - button. and you can put the rep number on the pilot profile. THAT IS what i like to see!

LIKE this fourm has that!

Edited by Vansers

Well, as far as the forum itself goes, it is great. I think a few minor tweaks to it would be great if you do a RC version. I fully do understand it still says beta.

I think it badly needs at bare minimum some bbcode. So far that little script editor that was posted is the only choice. I just uploaded a fresh install of phpvms and added this forum to it right off the get go and posted a nice long post and it is just all mashed together. No line breaks or anything at all.

Hopefully I get the time I can dig into this matter and help out some. I have just started college at the ripe old age of 37 in their IT program with and emphasis on web development. So time is kind of short now for me but I can always use this as my stomping grounds as a side project for school. Taking no credit for what is in place already of course. ;-)

• Administrators

Well, as far as the forum itself goes, it is great. I think a few minor tweaks to it would be great if you do a RC version. I fully do understand it still says beta.

I think it badly needs at bare minimum some bbcode. So far that little script editor that was posted is the only choice. I just uploaded a fresh install of phpvms and added this forum to it right off the get go and posted a nice long post and it is just all mashed together. No line breaks or anything at all.

Hopefully I get the time I can dig into this matter and help out some. I have just started college at the ripe old age of 37 in their IT program with and emphasis on web development. So time is kind of short now for me but I can always use this as my stomping grounds as a side project for school. Taking no credit for what is in place already of course. ;-)

For bbcode, one avenue is a bbcode parsing plugin.

http://www.christian-seiler.de/projekte/php/bbcode/index_en.html

That also has links to other parses. It should be relatively trivial to include it (create a folder in core/lib where external libraries live, and then include it in the module). PECL has a BB code parser but I wouldn't rely on PEAR/PECL being available on all servers

• 3 weeks later...

....but I do see the current shortcomings. The only thing I would want immediately, would be some way to see if there is new posts once you go into the forum. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see many settings for options, in that regard.

I have been in my off time, been working on this forum a little bit. i have added images and some other stuff to mine. I have been looking for a way to pull the latest post info as well. If I can get it done, I will come back and post.

Well, I created differnet forum topics, so when you first go to the board you just see the various topics, here:

http://www.canadianclassicairlines.com/CPC/index.php/Forum

Now, there is no way to tell if there are NEW messages until you click on a main topic. Is there a way to show that there is, or did I do something wrong in the setup?

• Administrators

No, all it does is order the topics with the one containing the newest post at the top. In reading your post within the link you posted I would say you are better off to use a true forum board, smf or phpbb, or the like in order to have forum siggys and such. I have found it easier to skin a board to match phpvms than anything, and you get all the features built into the forum. Both my old VA and my new one automatically register a new user in the forum and they are ready to go. I doubt I will be extending the VAForum board code anymore, but you are welcome to.

My two sites that you can see examples of a smf board skined the same as phpvms are

New England Virtual

and

Westjets Virtual

I will agree on the SMF board. it is nice to use. I have been a phpBB man forever and a day now, but I do like SMF. However, I currently do use the VA Forum and for now it is working out fine. I have not had time to mess with it anymore the last couple of days though. Been busy doing school work and such.

I do plan on creating a ,"List-O-Teaks" that I have done to mine here in the near future.

Yeah, I will incorporate my phpbb board into the phpvms site. Right now it is separate and now have to figure out how to make it embedded right into the current webpage(Is that even possible?). Not too hard, I don't think, just need the time.

Is the SMF better than PHPBB?? Because if I am going to change things, I better start off with the best. Opinions of the 2 head to head please????

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I will incorporate my phpbb board into the phpvms site. Right now it is separate and now have to figure out how to make it embedded right into the current webpage(Is that even possible?). Not too hard, I don't think, just need the time.

Is the SMF better than PHPBB?? Because if I am going to change things, I better start off with the best. Opinions of the 2 head to head please????

It is all personal preference really. I don't know if the outlook for SMF is as good as it is for phpBB though future wise. phpBB is pretty much here to stay. I chose phpBB years ago and simply stayed with them, because I became an admin at a website the develops a CMS and has thousands of users. Once i became part of the group I just stayed with it.

SO yeah man, do an install of both and see what you like better. Personally I like phpBB better but once again, it is personal preference. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh Houston, we have a problem! I logged in today only to find out that I am banned from posting in my own forum. Oh and so is everyone else. :D

Anyone ever encountered this before?

Ohh nice. Im looking at my database and there was a javascript hack used on it. I will NOT post the script in here but Simpilot, if interested I will give you what info that I can.

Now disabled on my site for now. Suggest you all do the same until Simpilot can come up with a fix if he so decides to.

• Administrators

I am working my way through this but the only way I can reproduce it at this point is by adding the tinymce editor as pouzo suggested in the first part of this thread, which I do not recomend using outside of the admin panel and sections where only trusted users have access. I will continue to try and break the script and if I can find an update that will help avoid this I will post it.

On a side note, I believe that Tom is extending the code and is including some extended security features.

That would be great!

And on another note, I got rid of that editor last night and no new forums showed up today and no one was banned at all last night either. The va forum beta was hidden from public view as it was the second night it got hit. The only visible forum to public I have now is a SMF and it is fine as well. I would say with all testing that I have done, I pretty much can agree with you 100% Simpilot. Users do NOT add the easy editor outside of the admin area.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Hi,

This looks great I have uploaded the files as per the instructions but get this error: An Error Was Encountered

The module "%3C" doesn't exist! when i try to create a new catergory.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Scott

Looks like a corrupted file on upload but this module has been exteneded by Tom, he has added a lot of new features that make it both more secure and more user friendly. the thread is here -> http://forum.phpvms.net/topic/3748-vaforum-2/

• 4 weeks later...