Windows 8?

Kyle

@Joeri

Windows 8 is meant more for tablets right now, (some inside info now) They are thinking about releasing a desktop version as well, a lot of people left feedback that they miss the start button which im sure we all will. They are thinking of having the windows 8 installer prompt you for either a tablet installation or a desktop installation.

I was working with Microsoft for a week about 4 months ago, and much like what Joeri and Flightguy123 said, W8is mainly for tablets and window's phones right now.

Metro is for tablets and phones, sure... you can get it on a desktop too, but windows 8 still has the option for the same "normal" UI as windows 7..

Thought so,

It looked like a tablet OS. I'll be sticking to Windows 7. Rather not really go though upgrading and then have to reinstall all my programs.

If they offer an upgrade version like they did with W7 then I don't see why you'd have that trouble? :)

• Moderators

Well,

Before I was changing to Windows 7, I was reading up a few things, some of them said that I should do a clean install, because, if I were to upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista, I would had errors with different programs.

So, I just backed up the old windows, and did a clean install and moved my files and install programs from Vista to 7.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

guys i have just installed windows 8 to my Dell i3 and till now my expereience with windows 8 is awesome. I am enjoying it very much and hope it will be the best windows version ever....

I've just done the opposite. I got so fed up of windows 8 on my second computer, I've just removed windows altogether.

There are much easier to use (and code on) Linux versions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been using the RTM version of Windows 8 since it became available and from what I can see, it is just awesome. You get used to the new metro interface very quickly. It performance is better. Boot Times faster / Shutdown time Faster / Install Times faster. It looks nicer and cleaner and I'm thoroughly happy with it personally i couln't fault it but obviously there will be people who will just criticise it because they don't like change.

• Administrators

I've decided to get a Mac instead for my next laptop; not too impressed with Windows 8, and with most of my work being Unix based, and MS's latest decisions regarding UI, I think I'm going to the Apple side. I'm not a fanboy of either by any means, but gotta use the right tools for the job. I've used W8 for a bit now and it just doesn't sit too well with me... I feel like there's too much bloat in the UI, but I'm increasingly using ubuntu and osx, with ubuntu also making some really stupid UI decisions... leaving OSX to be somewhat sane

I really wanted the ability to mount remote filesystems (FUSE w/SSFS, etc), as that's a kernel feature; ultimately that would have kept me on Windows, but I guess that's not going to be coming for a while, if at all. I like change, though :) Also, no Windows laptops with great, light hardware... I have a 13" MBP Retina on the way, whose specs kill the equivalent Thinkpad X1 Carbon for about the same price.

But I'm seeing a lot of people now taking the plunge to OSX after seeing/using W8. I'm still going to put w8 on my desktop, which is my media/gaming machine.

• Like 1

I have windows 8 and it is very very fast and looks really nice i'd consider getting it if i where you guys there is only one problem my speakers built into my pc and headphone and microphone jack will not work with the os. But other than that its brilliant and my flight simulation runs smoothly on it.

Apple is so restrictive these days they have even removed the disc drive from the new iMac to make it "thinner" however they have really done it to limit you to buying software and apps from the app store therefore making apple generate more money.

Because before the Mac App store you installed all your apps from CDs right? :lol:

OSX doesn't limit what you install in any way, you can still download and install apps from all over the internet just as you did before.